Vegan-Friendly Wineries & Vineyards!
I am in the process of updating my Sip! page. After some careful thought, I’ve decided that I’ll only include wineries that are 100% vegan. This will ensure that your experience is always vegan, regardless of the vintage!
Napa Valley Wineries
The Good Life Wine Collective, with winemaker Rob Lloyd, includes three Napa Valley Wineries. Not only is the wine and experience incredible but they are dedicated to the enrichment of life through wine by supporting the Napa Valley community via the arts, health, housing and hunger projects.
- Humanitas Wines**– The Humanitas Tasting Annex is located in southern Napa’s “Crusher Wine District” at 25 Enterprise Court. From its humble beginnings in Judd’s backyard “Shed-Teau” in 2001, Humanitas Wines’ is now closing in on a Quarter-of-a-Million dollars in charitable donations. Contact the Hospitality Team at 707.253.1405 to schedule your Pay It Forward tasting experience. The tasting includes exclusive tours of the winery facility and delicious molecular gastronomy spoon bite pairings developed by Chef MikeC (ask for the vegan version!). It is a lovely experience and allows you to Drink Charitably!
- Jessup Cellars** – Guests at Jessup Cellars may choose to taste at its wine bar or relax with sit-down, hosted tastings in the winery’s spacious gallery surrounded by curated art, which features rotating installations by celebrated regional and national artists. The winery also specializes in hosting interactive experiences with a focus on the arts. These events bring together Jessup Cellars’ wines, food, art and people! Located at 6740 Washington Street in beautiful Yountville, contact them at 888.537.7879 to schedule your experience.
- Handwritten Wines – What Handwritten offers is personal, private, special, touching and moving. All things that inspired their wine! The current search continues for the perfect location as they move out of the St. Helena cottage. For now, they are hosting a Handwritten “Pop-Up” at the sister winery Jessup Cellars in Yountville. For those wishing to book a tasting, CLICK HERE to book your appointment through CellarPass. These appointment only tastings are available 7 days a week from 10am to 5pm. If you prefer a private tasting, contact them at 707.944.8524.
- Cosentino Winery** is prestigiously known as the first winery on Highway 29 as you head upvalley. The building is beautiful and the wine is wonderful. The winemaker does not fine any of the wines so there is no risk of any animal product being added.
- Grgich Hills Estate – Napa Valley is what it is today because of one of the co-founders of Grgich Hills Estate, Milijenko “Mike” Grgich. Back in 1976 a panel of French judges, through a blind tasting, chose the 1973 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay crafted by Mike as the finest white wine in the world! Their grapes are free of artificial fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides. When they fine their wines, they use bentonite clay instead of animal proteins. And the winery has been solar powered for over a decade!
- O’Brien Vineyards – Located at 1200 Orchard Avenue in the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley. I have heard wonderful things about the experience! They provide the rare experience of walking in their vineyards, touching their barrels and bottling line, relaxing in their own backyard and sharing their passion for the bottled poetry that is wine. All with a glass of wine in your hand! They have a limited number of tables so to offer everyone a private, seated tasting experience, a reservation is required and will accommodate groups up to 8. To provide a tranquil environment for all guests, they are unable to accommodate pets or anyone under the age of 21. To make an appointment, CLICK HERE.
- St. Claire Brown Winery** – An urban winery located in Napa at 816 Vallejo Street not only offers a wonderful vegan-friendly menu made with produce from their own garden but all of their wine is vegan-friendly too.
- Topaz Dessert Wine** – If you enjoy dessert wine, you have got to try Jeff Sowells’ gorgeous and delicious topaz colored wine. His blend of Semillion and Sauvignon Blanc grapes is unsurpassed. He offers a very unique experience by inviting you to his home for a tasting. He is also very interesting to talk to also – I was fascinated by his winemaking knowledge and the story of how Topaz came to be. Call Jeff at 707.252.2468 to schedule your tasting!
Sonoma Valley Wineries
- Comstock Wines** winery and tasting room is located in beautiful Healdsburg at 1290 Dry Creek Road. Winemaker Chris Russi crafts amazing vegan-friendly red and white wines. I am a big fan of his Old Vine Zinfandel. The location is absolutely stunning and there are vines that are over 100 years old. Well worth the drive to Northern Sonoma County.
- Meadowcroft Wines ** is located just 20 minutes from Napa at 23574 Arnold Drive in Sonoma. The tasting room is in CornerStone Sonoma which offers dining, shopping, wine tasting and a beautiful garden. Tom Meadowcroft, the owner/winemaker, does not fine his wine so all, except one vintage he fined in 2008, are vegan-friendly. The wines are all wonderful but I loved the 2013 Los Carneros Pinot Noir.
- Domaine Carneros is the only vegan sparkling wine producer that I have been able to find in Napa Valley. It is located at Duhig Road just off Carneros Highway/12 between Napa and Sonoma Valley. Visit their stunning Chateau for tableside service on the terrace or in the salon and savor the spirit of the Northern California wine country.
- Napa Palisades Saloon** is one of the newest bars in downtown Napa. I love wine and drink plenty of it but have been a fan of hard cider for a long time. Close to 20 years ago on a trip to England with my sister Christy, I sipped Strongbow cider for the first time and it was love at first taste! I have since become a vegan and found out that Strongbow is not vegan-friendly but both ciders served at the Saloon – Crispin (bottled) and Foxcraft (on tap) are! I had a wonderful conversation with Foxcraft and they assured me that they pride themselves on making a clean cider free of additives!
- Napkins Bar & Grill offers a full bar with wine, beer & cider, spirits and some amazing cocktails. Some of the cocktails are not vegan-friendly so be sure to ask your server. They are very welcoming to vegans and Chef Jacinto will whip you up something special. The owner, Ali Yildirim, is updating his seasonal menu and will be adding more vegan options that are well labelled. It is a perfect spot to stop in when you want to share a good meal with your omnivorous friends. Please tell Ali that you heard about him from my blog. He will love that!
This is just the beginning but even winos like me have to get up and walk her dogs!